DEPARTMENT: Network Engineering and Operations
REPORTS TO: General Manager
This position is responsible for leading the Network Engineering and Operations staff that support all aspects of a regional ISP, facilities-based CLEC and transport network. Provide expertise in network design, planning and operations, while ensuring projects related to strategic initiatives are completed within desired timelines and cost objectives. Anticipates and recommends future needs while gaining knowledge of industry changes and opportunities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the network infrastructure to include IP engineering/operations, telephony engineering/operations and transport engineering/ operations.Works with the team to manage overall day-to-day operations to improve infrastructure costs, performance and end-user satisfaction.
- Responsible for providing leadership, direction and is accountable for subordinate engineering staff overall; performance reviews to include assessment and evaluation of employee performance in the areas of job knowledge, work quality, attendance/punctuality, initiative, communication/listening skills, and dependability.
- Responsible for managing, administering and overseeing all contracting and purchasing activities for the department. Negotiates pricing and other contract terms and conditions directly with network and telecommunications vendors and outside service providers.
- Responsible for assisting General Manager with strategic planning and execution by providing technical documentation, designs and costs in response to network forecasting requests, network expansion opportunities and/or customer request for proposals. Ensures projects are completed upon approval, while resolving any pre and post deployment concerns.
- Responsible for ensuring the tracking of all inventories including but not limited to IP, Voice and Transport networks are completed and kept up to date.
- Prepares, recommends and oversees development of operating budgets. Performs and/or oversees budget analysis.
- Responsible for assisting General Manager with network presentations and public relations.
- Research new products, services and technologies. Evaluates market demand and makes recommendations to General Manager.
- Additional requirements include support of any other advanced services FastTrack offers that may be assigned by the General Manager, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year College or university (BSEE, BSEET, BSCE, BSCS) or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of telecommunications engineering experience of voice and data networks with 5+ years as team lead or technical manager.
- Expert knowledge of voice and data equipment including: TDM and softwitch switching platforms, feature servers, STPs, session border controllers, gateways, routers, switches, MLPP and DWDM nodes.
- Expert knowledge of voice and data networks including: SS7, GR-303, VoIP, MPLS, Frame Relay, Ethernet, QOS, VPN, SIP, MGCP, IP routing, SONET and DWDM.
- Extensive recent knowledge of and experience in managing network and telecommunications resources.
- Proficient in project management for small to medium size projects.
- Cisco certification is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Access, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, and Word.
- Superior interpersonal skills; ability to work well with others.
- Demonstrated experience in team building and staff development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Detail-oriented organizational skills.
- Analytical problem-solving skills.
- An ability to understand complex issues and learn quickly.
- Adaptability, flexibility, and creativity.
- Mature, professional attitude; leadership and mentoring skills.
- Works in a normal office environment
- Willingness to work on evenings, weekends, holidays, and extended hours as required by workload.
- Simple IRA plan with company match
- Flexible reimbursement accounts (FSA)
- Vacation, sick and personal time off
- Annual Training Budget
- Medical, vision, dental, life, AD&D, short and long term disability insurances
Salary commensurate with experience
Salary range - $105,200 to $156,900
Visual Acuity: Normal vision and accommodation.
NOTE: This job description covers the major purpose and major responsibilities (functions) of the job. It is not intended to give all details or a step-by-step account of the way each task is to be performed. Employees may receive other job-related duties requested by their manager. All requirements are subject to possible modification to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
FastTrack Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.